Sunday, May 13, 2012

Weekend Pajama Party: Paper Rosette Tutorial


 
Oh, Baby!  I got to help throw a baby shower for two of my friends at work this week who are both expecting boys.  We had the shower in the library at school so we had an owl theme...owls like to read books, right?  I love paper rosettes but had never made any.  Well...I'm kind of an expert now, and they are super easy and fun to make for any party.

What I Used:
12x12 paper (double sided is best)
Martha Stewart scoring board (If you don't already have one, get one!)
hot glue/glue gun
Give a Hoot Cricut cartridge (for the owls)

The proportions for this rosette will make a 10 inch diameter rosette...the medium sized one in the trio.  Sorry I didn't snap pictures of the owl rosettes as I made them...they were a true pajama craftin' project.  :)

Step 1: Using one piece of 12x12 paper, cut three 4x12 inch strips.
Step 2: Score each paper at 1/2 inch.
Step 3: Fold the strips accordion style.  It's the same technique I used when I was little and would fold papers into fans during church.  :)
Step 4: Line the papers up and glue them together (keeping the accordion pattern)....
....until they look like a lampshade.
Step 5: Press down in the center until it looks like this.  Don't be afraid to force it down. 
You can't break it!
Step 6: I cut out a flower shape on my Cricut and hot glued a flower to each side to keep it together.
If you get the double sided paper, it's a fun bonus if you hang them from the ceiling. 
Here's the view from the back.
See how fun and easy?!  I cut out some owls using the Give a Hoot Cricut cartridge for the baby shower ones and I glued them over the white flower.  This made them extra sturdy.
Here's a cheat sheet for the paper sizes I cut and the diameter of each paper rosette.
Aqua: Finished rosette = 14 inch diameter
Uses four 6x12 inch paper strips (2 12x12 papers)

Orange: Finished rosette = 10 inch diameter
Uses three 4x12 inch paper strips

Green: Finished rosette = 6 1/2 inch diameter
Uses two 3x6 inch paper strips

I kept the owl motif going and made some extra mini owls as cupcake toppers.  :)
I made the banner out of burlap, cloth, and paper letters.  The burlap blocks are 6 inches and the damask cloth blocks are 5 1/4 inches.  I used spray adhesive to stick it all together.  :)


If you haven't already made some of these paper rosettes, I hope you'll give them a try! 
They definitely make the world a cuter place!

Have fun!
~Cindy Jane

7 comments:

  1. How gorgeous! I love the burlap bunting, too!

    Oh and by the way, You've been awarded the Liebster Blog Award for small blogs! :D
    I've given you a shout-out here:
    http://c-is-for-craft.blogspot.com/2012/05/liebster-blog-award.html

    Go and check it out!

    Roudi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roudi! Thank you SO much! We are truly honored you chose us and were so surprised! We love your blog and all of your amazing crafts!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the detailed tutorial - it looks easy to do and I feel encouraged to try it myself. I love the final rosettes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ı love tis thanks for you.my daughter loves it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! I'm so glad you like them, and I hope you'll give them a try!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look lovely. My rosettes keep tearing when I push them down, maybe because my accodions are not folded precisely after scoring :( I shall try your method again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look lovely. My rosettes keep tearing when I push them down, maybe because my accodions are not folded precisely after scoring :( I shall try your method again.

    ReplyDelete