Friday, April 6, 2012

Speckled Butterfly Easter Eggs

It's not too late to make these beautiful eggs for your Easter dinner place settings or as a spring decoration.  They were inspired by a Martha Stewart creation but she used oversized paper egg boxes and hollowed chicken eggs.  I couldn't find the boxes and the idea of hollowing out eggs sounded like a giant mess waiting to happen. 
Luckily, I found an easier and cleaner way for about 50 cents an egg. 
Thank you Dollar Store!

Materials:
jumbo sized plastic eggs
cream spray paint
brown craft paint/toothbrush
butterfly cardstock

I found these jumbo sized eggs at The Dollar Store and they were the perfect size. :)
 I was worried the color would be too bright to cover, but I primed the eggs, then added a few coats of spray paint and it did the trick. 
***Do not use a prime and paint spray paint combo or the paint will run down.***
I put some light brown craft paint on an old toothbrush and speckled the eggs.

 Then I cut out some butterflies and Mod Podged them on.
Here's another option instead of speckling the eggs with paint.  I used a brown ink pad and sponge on this one.  I like the aged look the ink gives it.
I think they look really cute in these bowls with Spanish moss as a make-shift bird's nest. I added some simple name cards and my Easter dinner place settings are done.

 Happy Easter!
~ Cindy Jane
Don't forget to enter our giveaway HERE!



27 comments:

  1. I just LOVE these eggs! Butterflies are so fun for spring, and the colors are fab with the moss and speckling! Gonna have to make a run to the store tomorrow...lol Excited to find your cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Janis! Have fun with your weekend project. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh so PRETTY!!!!!!!! I just Adore the butterflies! What a great idea to paint the plastic eggs!

    I hope you'll share this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality :)
    http://thediydreamer.blogspot.ca/2012/04/from-dream-to-reality-linky-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! I lucked out and found the perfect butterfly paper. :) We'll definitely link up! Thanks for the invite!

      Delete
  3. What a great place setting. The eggs look amazing in the Spanish moss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ma che belle le vostre uova!!!E che dire delle farfalle?!!!!Semplicemente favolose!Mi unisco ai vostri sostenitori e "così... a tutto cuore "vi auguro una felice e serena Pasqua ..Patry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patry! I'm so happy you're following our blog! Happy Easter to you too!

      Delete
  5. This is a super amazing project, love the look of the Eggs. I just pinned it on Pinterest.
    Smiles, Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks for stopping by, Paula, and pinning! :)

      Delete
  6. These are sooooo beautiful! I can't believe they started out as crazy bright plastic eggs. Definitely going to remember this one for next Easter. I really hope that you're going to link this up at Etcetorize this week~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linking up for sure! So glad you like them. They were super easy, so that's always a bonus! Have a great week!

      Delete
    2. Easter is over, but I don't care...I'm still featuring your gorgeous eggs at the Etcetorize party tonight! I hope you'll stop by to grab a featured button and link up again.

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much for featuring them! I agree though, they don't have to be just for Easter...I'm going to keep mine out all spring. Have a great week!

      Delete
  7. It's a little late for this now, but I "pinned" it so I'm good. happy day Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks for pinning! What did we do before Pinterest? :)

      Delete
  8. Your butterfly eggs are gorgeous! I would love it if you would share them on my new linky party Dare to Share.

    Pam
    http://pamspartyplanning.blogspot.com/2012/04/dare-to-share-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your project is super cute and definitely "pinworthy"! Love it! Stopping by from Wow Us Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! And thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  10. I love the speckled eggs. And the butterflies are the perfect combination! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting us share them on your linky party! :)

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for linking up your beautiful eggs to Dare to Share. I love them so much I am pinning them. Please come back this week, I would love to see more of your great ideas.

    Pam
    http://pamspartyplanning.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pinning! We'll link up again for sure! We love your site!!!

      Delete
  12. Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly
    Clever Chicks Blog Hop:

    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/clever-chicks-blog-hop-13.html
    I hope you can make it!
    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete